Job Vacancy: Electronics & Software Development EngineerPosted on: 09-11-23 | Vacancies
We’re looking for an Electronics & Software Development Engineer to join our expert development team and work on improving our cryogenic devices. You can find more informaiton about the role and our products below. To apply for this vacancy, please email email@example.com with your CV and cover letter attached.
Job Description: Electronics & Software Development Engineer
Site Address: Long Hanborough, Oxfordshire
Reporting To: Head of Product Development and Engineering
· Experience with successful delivery of engineering projects, including exposure to wider aspects of operational & program management
· Demonstratable experience of engagement at both customer and supplier level
· Passion for early-stage R&D – gained via ‘hands-on’ exposure to prototype builds across a diverse range of sectors and disciplines
· Well versed with the product lifecycle in the ‘real’ electronics & software world – managing the transition from concept to serial production
· Extensive hands-on experience with the design, build, testing and debugging of complex electronics & software systems – ideally with scientific instrumentation or similar low-volume high-value customized builds
· Sound knowledge in electronics systems with the ability to discuss and contribute to other key discipline areas such as Mechanical and Software engineering
· High attention to detail and with a “right first time” attitude but retaining the urgency to make time critical business decisions, understanding, and justifying the compromises
· Comfortable with customers and vendors site visits to support proposals and design approval meetings
· Working knowledge of regulatory and safety requirements for safety critical products
· Actively providing technical input into electronics / software development projects
· Experience of working with manufacturers and suppliers, especially when reviewing progress against deliverables & quality, identifying technology risks, and introducing process improvements
· Solid mathematical and algebraic skills underpinned by a good knowledge of electronics at the digital logic / register / binary data level
· Familiarity in analogue electronics design including low-noise transistor/op-amp amplifiers, signal conditioners, filters, ADC front ends, DAC back-ends etc.
· Able to quickly evaluate proposed designs or perform ‘back of the envelope’ calculations on performance
· Awareness of design approaches and testing methodologies for RFI / EMC testing, safety and Low Voltage Directive, reliability (HALT/ HASS) – with other standards such as RoHS, Reach, WEEE, Conflict Minerals etc.
· Object-oriented programming and Software development life cycle
· Practical commercial experience in application development using Visual Studio
· Experience in C# development, .NET framework, C/C++ development
· Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
· Experience in embedded C/C++ development in a Microchip environment
· Experience with software revision control packages (e.g., Visual SVN, GIT)
· Experience with designing complex SMT multilayer PCBs (desirable but not essential)
· Experience using simulation tools – MATLAB, Unit Testing (desirable but not essential)
Team Strengths and Commercial Awarenes
· Able to participate as a Team Member – respecting established processes and disciplines, whilst remaining flexible and rational in the face of uncertainty and able to apply decisive judgement
· Able to perform a logical and systematic conversion of customer features into system level requirements and engineering design specifications
· Excellent communication and organizational skills
· Outstanding attention to detail with ability to handle complex configurations / micro schedules etc.
· Approachable and able to present and discuss highly technical topics to a wide audience across all levels of the business
· Has a ‘can-do’ attitude with a spirit for collaboration to offer creative and pragmatic solutions to problems
· Degree in Computer Science or a relevant Engineering Discipline – ideally Electronics and/or Software related. Candidates with relevant industry experience will be considered too.
· Working knowledge of the below directives and their association to the CE and UKCA certification process would be desirable:
o Machinery Directive – 2006/42/EC
o Low Voltage Directive – 2014/35/EU
o Pressure Equipment Directive – 2014/68/EU
· Minimum of 1 – 3 years of relevant work experience in the electronics and/or software industry
· Experience of having delivered projects from start to finish
· An entrepreneurial self-starter, with strong communication and organizational skills
· Humble: respectful, receptive, agile, eager to learn
· A background in scientific instrumentation would be highly desirable, ideally within the cryogenics industry
· Willingness to be hands-on when required
· Willingness to travel when required
Candidates MUST be eligible to work and live in the UK. Sponsorship will not be available. Copies of Visa and Passport will be requested. Job descriptions are reviewed and may be updated annually to meet the changing needs of the business.
Find out more about our products:
Oxford Cryosystems provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability. We comply with applicable regional laws governing non-discrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of internship and employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our building has two floors with a wheelchair ramp/access to the lower floor. If necessary, the company can and will make the required adjustments to suit the individual needs.